Student Campus Accommodations

Washington State University (WSU) includes a network of services to help students, employees, and other members of the university community have access to the university, its services, and events. The information below is intended to guide students to locate the appropriate resources to address their accessibility needs.

Current and Incoming Student Accommodations:

WSU Disability Specialists can assist WSU students with documented disabilities in securing reasonable accommodations in the following areas:

  • Classroom and educational environment
  • WSU Housing (Pullman campus)
  • Other student based responsibilities, activities, and programming

For more information contact a Disability Specialist on your home campus:

Student Access Service Centers may be able to provide a student some information on resources available at the university and in the community to help meet access needs that are outside the realm of “reasonable accommodations”.  For example, Student Access Service Centers may be able to connect a student with accessible transportation sources to enable the student to better access community shopping and dining facilities.

Prospective Student Accommodations:

Individuals who wish to apply for enrollment at WSU may contact the Office of Admissions to request reasonable accommodations in the admissions process.

Office of Admissions Mailing Address:

WSU Office of Admissions

370 Lighty Student Services Building

PO Box 641067

Pullman, WA 99164-1067

Office of Admissions Contact Info

Phone: 888-GO-TO-WSU (888-468-6978)

Fax: 509-335-4902


Website: WSU Admissions

Accessible Parking and Transportation Options for Students

  • WSU Pullman:
    • Transportation Services – Parking
      • State disability placards or license plates with a current WSU parking permit are valid in disability spaces signed for WSU Disability Permits and any blue, red, yellow, green, orange, gray, and crimson zones, and both on and off street parking meters.
      • State disability placards or license plates with a current WSU parking permit also allow access to the disability spaces within the restricted area of the pedestrian mall areas on campus. Please drive cautiously on the pedestrian malls.
    • Pullman Transit
      • The City of Pullman operates accessible busses to and from campus through Pullman Transit.
      • The City of Pullman also provides accessible transportation through their Dial-A-Ride program.
    • Cougar Accessible Transit Service (CATS)  
      • The University provides the Cougar Accessible Transportation Services (CATS), a courtesy service funded through student fees.
      • CATS is a small program that offers accessible transportation on campus to students with permanent or temporary mobility disabilities/conditions.

Requesting Work or Academic Accommodations as an Enrolled Student

Accommodations may be available to students with disabilities for the classroom and educational environment, housing, on campus accessible transportation needs, and other student based responsibilities, activities, and programming.  Typically, students request an accommodation from the student access center on their campus (see list of campus specific offices below the table).  However, if a student has a work or employment type position, the accommodation request may be processed by a different office.

The following table will assist in determining which office(s) will be the primary contact for the accommodations request process. Contact information for the campus specific offices are listed below the table.

Type of Accommodations SoughtStatusContact
Academic OnlyEnrolled WSU student with interest in academic related accommodations only.Student Access Services Office
Work and AcademicEnrolled WSU student with interest in academic and work related accommodations. Student Access Services Office*
Work Only, Option 1Enrolled WSU student with interest in work related accommodations for one of the following positions that require the individual to be a registered and/or degree-seeking student:

1. Resident Advisor,
2. Graduate Assistantship (Teaching Assistant; Research Assistant; Staff Assistant; Veterinary Assistant)
3. Undergraduate Research Assistant,
4. Undergraduate Staff Assistant,
5. Fellowships,
6. Student Government positions,
7. Student Publications Appointees, or
8. Other positions, not listed in any of the above categories.
Student Access Services Office*
Work Only, Option 2Enrolled WSU student with interest in work related accommodations for one of the following positions that do not require the individual to be a registered and/or degree seeking student:

1. Clerical Assistant,
2. Lecturer,
3. Preceptor,
4. Professional Worker,
5. Service Worker,
6. Skilled Trades Worker, or
7. Technical Assistant.

As outlined in the Temporary Employment Classification and Compensation Plan
Human Resource Services

* The Student Access Services Office will gather initial information about a student’s situation. After reviewing the work position information, the Student Disability Services Office may consult with Human Resources Services. This may include sharing medical and accommodation request information between these offices; students may need to sign a release. The appropriate office will address the request; if additional information is required, the student will be contacted.

Human Resources Services Office

Human Resource Services Disability Services supports requests for employee accommodations at all campus locations.

If a student has separately requested accommodations from a student disability services office AND Human Resource Services, please let a representative from one of those offices know a request for accommodations is being sought with the other office. The offices may not be aware that the student is seeking accommodations from the other office. This will assist in information sharing and a simplified process.


If you are unclear who to contact regarding your current position, feel free to contact either your local Student Access Services Office or Human Resources Services office for guidance.

Other Student Based Activities:

Other student activities that are not clearly academic, such as student government and university sponsored programming or activities do not always clearly fit under the purview of the Disability Specialist for facilitating reasonable accommodations. Nevertheless, most students who have roles in these or similar organizations or wish to participate in similar activities or programs should contact their Disability Specialist for assistance in determining the appropriate process for requesting reasonable accommodations for their unique circumstances (see above for Student Disability Service Center contact information). In some instances, Student Disability Service Centers work closely with Human Resource Services-Disability Services or other units within the University to facilitate the reasonable accommodation process.