Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Employee Campus Accommodations

Employee Accommodations

Washington State University (WSU) includes a network of services to help students, employees, and other members of the university community have access to the university, its services, and events.  The information below is intended to guide staff and faculty to locate the appropriate resources to address their accessibility needs.

Current WSU employees may contact their supervisor, department chair, or Human Resource Services if they believe they may need a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of their position or have questions about the reasonable accommodation process. The Human Resource Services-Disability Services unit works with employees and their department to coordinate all Reasonable Accommodations for employees.

The below office can consult with you regarding reasonable accommodation needs:

In addition, the HRS Disability Services unit is responsible for overseeing some other system wide leave and disability related programs and services such as:

  • Medical leave
  • Pregnancy related leave
  • Military related leave
  • Long term disability claims
  • Reasonable accommodations
  • Workers’ compensation
  • Shared leave

Visit WSU Disability Services for more information.

An organization called Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities offers a webinar titled Supervisors and Title I of the ADA, which may be a helpful resource for supervisors and employees.

Prospective Employees

Individuals who wish to apply for employment at WSU may also contact Human Resource Services to request reasonable accommodations in the application process.

Washington State TDD Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384; TDD Callers: 1-800-833-6388

Mailing Address:

WSU Human Resource Services
139 French Administration Building
PO Box 64104
Pullman, WA 99164-1014

Phone:          509-335-4521

Fax:               509-335-1259


Website:      HRS 

Requesting Work or Academic Accommodations as an Enrolled Student

Accommodations may be available to students with disabilities for the classroom and educational environment, housing, on campus accessible transportation needs, and other student based responsibilities, activities, and programming.  Typically, students request an accommodation from the student access center on their campus (see list of campus specific offices below the table).  However, if a student has a work or employment type position, the accommodation request may be processed by a different office.

The following table will assist in determining which office(s) will be the primary contact for the accommodations request process. Contact information for the campus specific offices are listed below the table.

Type of Accommodations SoughtStatusContact
Academic OnlyEnrolled WSU student with interest in academic related accommodations only.Student Access Services Office
Work and AcademicEnrolled WSU student with interest in academic and work related accommodations. Student Access Services Office*
Work Only, Option 1Enrolled WSU student with interest in work related accommodations for one of the following positions that require the individual to be a registered and/or degree-seeking student:

1. Resident Advisor,
2. Graduate Assistantship (Teaching Assistant; Research Assistant; Staff Assistant; Veterinary Assistant)
3. Undergraduate Research Assistant,
4. Undergraduate Staff Assistant,
5. Fellowships,
6. Student Government positions,
7. Student Publications Appointees, or
8. Other positions, not listed in any of the above categories.
Student Access Services Office*
Work Only, Option 2Enrolled WSU student with interest in work related accommodations for one of the following positions that do not require the individual to be a registered and/or degree seeking student:

1. Clerical Assistant,
2. Lecturer,
3. Preceptor,
4. Professional Worker,
5. Service Worker,
6. Skilled Trades Worker, or
7. Technical Assistant.

As outlined in the Temporary Employment Classification and Compensation Plan
Human Resource Services

* The Student Access Services Office will gather initial information about a student’s situation.  After reviewing the work position information, the Student Disability Services Office may consult with Human Resources Services.  This may include sharing medical and accommodation request information between these offices; students may need to sign a release.  The appropriate office will address the request; if additional information is required, the student will be contacted.


Human Resources Services Office

The Human Resource Services Disability Services Office in Pullman supports requests for employee accommodations at all campus locations.

If a student has separately requested accommodations from a student disability services office AND Human Resource Services, please let a representative from one of those offices know a request for accommodations is being sought with the other office.  The offices may not be aware that the student is seeking accommodations from the other office.  This will assist in information sharing and a simplified process.


If you are unclear who to contact regarding your current position, feel free to contact either your local Student Access Services Office or Human Resources Services office for guidance.